Whoops!!! Went to Spotlight yesterday and spent over $70 on fabric!! haha!! Looks like I have gotten the sewing bug!
I wanted to pick up some wadding, backing and bias binding for the Sock monkey blanket, but I also found this cute little dress on a dummy that I wanted to make for Nessa. However, it turns out that one of the employees there "made up" the dress, so I couldn't make it!! bah!! Carrie and I spent the next hour or so trying to find similar patterns in the book. We found these two that we liked (after finding quite a lot that weren't available!! lol)
I have decided to make the top one first. I will make it quite basic with just the 2 tones of fabric and buttons, no other embellishments. Because Spotlight had the buy one get one free deal, I bought the second pattern for when I am a bit more confident. Nessa has already pointed out the pink one with the white sash (the one I had picked out too) as the one that she wants for that one.
I meant to take a photo of the fabrics I bought, they are so bright and fun!! I will have a look at making them (I bought enough fabric to make 2 dresses of the first pattern). There is a pink material with orange, green and blue spots, a lime green material with purple and pink printed pattern and then I also got some nice fuchsia pink as the colour for the hem. It probably sounds a little out there (and I know B isn't so sure lol!) but Carrie has an amazing eye for colour and I think they will turn out well... or at least I hope they do and that Nessa likes them! I also had to buy some interfacing - something new and very different for me! I have never used it before, so I think I will be you-tubing a fair bit!! lol I'm actually wondering if it would be worthwhile doing some sewing lessons to learn how I should be doing things lol.
Anyway, back to the Sock Monkey Blanket. Last night I added the backing and wadding to the front part that I made over the weekend. It was quite tricky to try and get it all to line up and not gather. Which I made it most of the way around, and managed to get a bit of a gather in one of the corners.... I was not happy!! However, I am just not sure how I should have done it to avoid the gather. I joined them all together using a zig-zag stitch (very exciting for me as I couldn't use the different stitches on my old sewing machine!! it's the small things! lol), and I am hoping that having this will help make sewing the bias binding to the edge a bit easier. Oh yeah, I got a dark blue backing and some red bias binding. If possible I might try to pin the bias binding on tonight and sew it all in, which will mean that it will be finished. I hope it looks ok!!